Wednesday, December 8, 2010

GAME plan progress 3

What have I learned so far?
I have learned that it takes me more time to put an online activity together than I thought it would. The first time I tried to get an online activity ready I budgeted an hour to the task. I found that this was enough time to prepare all of the websites that I wanted my students to look at and set up the basic structure on my Moodle page. What I was not able to do was prepare any forum sections for each website that the students visited. I was running into writer’s block trying to figure out exactly what I wanted to ask my students as they went through the online activity. In the future I need to make sure that I give myself more time and more lead time to make my activities.

What new learning goals will I set for myself?
Looking at Nets-T the next goal that I want to develop is 2c which is to create personal learning experiences. This ties in well with my other goals and is the next step. When I fully implement online learning I would start each year with more directed activities and slowly work to give students more freedom to do independent investigations.

What learning approaches will I try next time to improve my learning?
I need to work to tie online activities in with classroom management. Students can only have the freedom to do independent investigations if they are held accountable to be doing their work. I can’t bring my students to the Grand Canyon and have them tight rope walk across, the results would be disastrous as most of my students would fall off and gain nothing. I need to make sure my students have a bridge with guard rails that they can walk across. They can still see all of the majesty before them but they know they are responsible to go across the bridge.

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to the time consumming aspect of online activities. I am starting a wiki with my students and just setting up the templates and usernames for each student has been such a long process. I have also been wanting to make some flipcharts for our Promethean boards but have not been able to find enough time to dedicate to creating a proper chart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teaching students some of the new technologies I want to use takes more time than I would like. Flipcharts also take up a lot of time to make but the rewards are huge. Life is so much simpler knowing that the presentation part of your lesson is all set and ready to go.

    ReplyDelete