Wednesday, December 15, 2010

GAME plan for students

As a reminder, the GAME plan process is to set Goals, take Action, Monitor progress, and Evaluate and extend. This week we were asked how we were going to use the GAME plan process with our students to help them develop proficiency in the technology standards NETS-S.

Looking at the technology standards for students and teachers, if a teacher is dedicated to using technology and meeting the NETS-T, the students in class will naturally become more proficient in the technology standards NETS-S. Because of this, I do not think that I am prepared or willing at this time to use the GAME plan to help my students develop technology proficiency. Instead, as their teacher, I will use the GAME plan to continually incorporate different aspects of technology into my class which will cause an inherent trickle down effect that will have my students become more proficient with technology.

I like the GAME plan and think that I am going to incorporate its structure into my math lessons, which, while teaching a math class, is where I think I should have my students setting goals. I am going to use the GAME plan with my students at the introduction to each math unit. I will have students write down in their notebooks at the beginning of each notes section, what their goals are for the unit and what actions they are going to take to accomplish those goals. At the end of each class period I always have my students do a reflection about the material taught that day. I am going to incorporate a monitoring piece into their daily reflection so they can evaluate where they are and what they need to do to maintain or get back on track. Then I will have students evaluate their GAME plan with each test and offer extension projects for those who have not met their goals.

1 comment:

  1. Ryan,

    I like how you worded the process of NETS-T trickling down to NETS-S. When I was reading through both sets of standards, I was going through this same thinking process. If the teacher succeeds in using technology in the class, it naturally will instill itself on the students.

    I was going to write something very similar, but then I decided to basically paraphrase my NETS-T plan of action and rewrite it for the student standards. Overall, I believe it's the process of constantly moving forward that we all strive to meet.

    Charles

    ReplyDelete